What is it? Animated app game for practising spelling high-frequency words.
Cost: ~£2.99 (varies, depending on the platform)
Ideal for: children who need to practise spelling words like: believe, beautiful, know, friend, who, father, people, could, Mrs.
Why it’s good for dyslexics:
Just 300 words make up approximately half of everything we read and write. By mastering these high-frequency words, children will be able to automatically spell ~50% the words they want to write.
- Quick, simple, enjoyable game
- Can specify which words you need to practise
- Immediate feedback and ability to retry words spelled incorrectly
- Stretches your level of game play
- Slightly confusing layout
- Shows you the word every time
- No help with building up strategies for spelling
- Freedom to choose easy words you can already spell, rather than words you often get wrong
In a nutshell:
A fun way to get in some spelling practice, without it feeling like too much of a chore.